Caramelized onions are that little extra that can transform your dish from good to amazing. I have been making caramelized onions for many years and I use it with fatty cheese, on hamburgers or homemade pizza and I use them a lot on top of blini’s (little pancakes) or other hors d’oeuvres. So simple to make but it will take your dishes to new heights.
YIELD: About ½ of a mason jar
- 2 large red onions - finely sliced
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup granulated sugar (or honey, or agave)
- ¼ cup red wine
- 3 scoops (3 servings) just björn marine collagen
- ½ tsp salt
How to Make it
- Heat a large skillet to medium high
- Put the oil and onions into the skillet.
- Cook the onions for 5 minutes moving around to avoid burning.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the balsamic vinegar and red wine.
- Mix well together and put the lid on. Let them cook in the vinegar and wine for 25 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar and salt and collagen, mix well together, put the lid on and cook for additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook for about 5 minutes reducing the liquid.
- Put immediately into a jar, close with lid and put into refrigerator.