This traditional Icelandic dessert is called marriage bliss. It’s a melt in your mouth buttery oat crusted pie with a delicious rhubarb jam filling. I love this pie because it’s not too sweet and it’s especially good served with ice-cream or whipped cream. The oats make you feel like it is not all that unhealthy. I always use rhubarb jam, but you can use blueberry or raspberry jam or whatever jam you love. This pie is very easy to make, just be sure you don’t overcook it.
YIELD: 12 Servings
- 2 sticks of butter, room temperature
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ cups rhubarb jam (or the jam of your choice)
How to Make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Reserving one tbsp of butter, add the remaining butter and all the ingredients except the jam into a large bowl
- Combine everything using your hands to knead until the dough is formed in 2-3 minutes. I like to wear disposable gloves during this step.
- Butter a 7-inch round baking pan, using the remaining tbsp butter
- Take ⅔ of the dough and press it into the bottom of the baking pan
- Spread the jam over the bottom of the pie, covering all the dough
- Crumble the rest of the dough to cover the jam
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving
Enjoy with freshly whipped cream or ice-cream of your choice. I also like to top the pie with fresh berries.